Get Ready for Halloween Vandalism! A Guide for Commercial Property Managers
As candy bowls are filled, pumpkins are carved and Elsa’s, Toy Story Woody’s and Ghostbusters’ invade neighborhoods across the country, we’re reminding property managers to be mindful with a few helpful hints on how to keep Halloween claim-free.
Did you know? According to the American Property Casualty Insurance Association, Halloween has the highest number of vandalism claims for any day by 81%. November 1st is the busiest day for insurance adjusters due to the influx of vandalism claims filed on Halloween versus any other day of the year.
The fun of Halloween, as you can see, also unfortunately brings more risk of property-related claims. So, we’ve put together a few tips for property managers for avoiding unpleasant trickery on Halloween night.
How Property Managers Can Stay Protected Halloween:
- Simply being aware of the fact that vandals are twice as active on Halloween puts you ahead of the game.
- Make sure the risk is transferred to your tenant and you’re not held liable for any injuries or damages. Ensure before Halloween that their COI is up-to-date and incorporates the correct insurance requirements to remain protected.
- Keep walkways and paths well-lit and clear to avoid falling trick-or-treaters.
- Advise tenants or vendors to put out candles where people can knock them over or to use battery-operated candles instead.
- Potentially inspect and perform maintenance on the property before Halloween to record the status of the area, so that you can use as a defense for a post-Halloween related claim.
- If you have an alarm on your property, this is the night to advise your tenants or vendors to use it.
So, remember, the key to avoiding property management vandalism on Halloween night is the same as it is on any other night — think ahead and use common sense, and your chances of getting through without a horrific costly claim are pretty good.
And if you need help with collecting or tracking your tenant and vendor certificates of insurance to ensure you’re protected from the Halloween property tricks this year, check out SmartCompliance, we’ve got your back.
Whatever your plans are this Halloween, be safe and have a spooktacular time!